Life matters

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Finances

So, my husband and I have been married for a year and a half. But we have lived together consecutivly for 3 years. When we first moved in together we both had seperate jobs that paid well and were able to afford to do whatever we wanted. We had a joint bank account to pay for household stuff that we both put a certain amt. out of every paycheck into, then we had our own personal accounts that we paid our own things with, ie student loans, cell phones etc. But now I am really no longer pulling an income as I am a stay at home mom, so he controls most of our finances. Usually I wouldnt have a problem with this, I feel its the guys place in a marriage to handle those issues, but him and I do not see eye to eye on our finances. I think that when we have any extra money its very important that we put it away in a savings account for a home, a car, college for our kids, whatever. He thinks we should use it right away to pay more towards bills and try and get ahead. SO I finally compromised with him recently as we had many credit cards with outrageous interest rates and lots of hospital bills for the babys birth, and we got a consolidation loan from the bank. In just those bills alone we were paying appx. 450 a month and never getting ahead. Now we have an awesome interest rate and only pay 265 a month. Also, the hubby recently recieved a promotion that means he gets paid salary plus bonous'. I have got living on a budget down to a science now, which I never thought I could do, but seeing on paper how much money I used to basically throw away changed my thinking. My husband, however, still thinks I am completly incompetant when it comes to money. SO while he was at work today I listed out his income, and every bill we pay to see why he continues to tell me we have no money, when I know we do.
He makes in the mid to high 40's which means he brings home appx. 3500 per month.
Bills per month:
Rent-969
Water-30
Elec.-130
Digital Cable/internet-103
Health Ins.-60
Car Ins.- 165
Loan- 265
Jims truck-375
Gas-130
Groceries-400
Cell-150
___________
Total-2777

Which should leave us with about $723 extra a month. Now granted some of that goes in his 401K and sometimes we eat out and such, but thats a decent amount of money. All he ever tells me though is that we have no money to save for a house and so on and so forth. I dont guess that he thought I was capable of figuring this out for myself. ALSO, I dont really work much but I bring in somewhere around 200 a month working my one day a week, AND my husband bonous' every quarter at work which is another 2-3 grand extra!! I'm not sure if I have the right to ask him about this considering its pretty much all his money and I suppose he can do with it as he pleases. I guess my question is since we are married is it considered OUR money and should I confront him about where it is all going???