Life matters

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Spoiled Brats!

I think I may have mentioned before that I work in retail. I work in an upscale mall and at a fairly pricey store. On average a pair of jeans is $118. Some people find it rediculous, others find it reasonable. I admit, I own a few pairs myself, but I also get a 40% discount! I normally only work one day a week (thurs. ) and we are never that busy on weekdays. But this was my weekend to work this month so I worked a saturday which are always busy! Now, the store I work in does not carry clothes geared towards children, its mostly dressy/sexy, fashion forward sorta stuff. But for some reason, we seem to cater to a large group of 12-15 year olds. Now, if I had a girl of that age there would be no way in hell she would be dressed in clothes from my store. But these mothers come in and act like its no big deal that her 12 year olds ass is hanging out of her skirt. And they wonder why their daughters get kidnapped and rapped....maybe thats going a lil far, but most days thats how I feel. The other thing that completely amazes me is the amount of kids out there with no ID (because they arent old enough) that carry credit cards in their own name! And they use it like its no big deal. Even worse is the 13 year old I had in today who had BOTH her parents with her. She bought 4 pairs of jeans, a purse, and some jewlery....total $809.00 (please keep in mind this is a normal occurance in our store). As her dad handed over his credit card he muffled something about the hefty price tag and his daughter just laughed and said "daddy I dont like any of my other jeans, and I got 4 new ones...thats a lot." I'm sorry but I dont think not liking your pants justifies spending 800 dollars on new ones! I cant possibly imagine how children who are raised like this will ever be financially successful, or even decent members of society. To them, money has no value. At 12 years of age its nothing to drop a few hundred on a weekend trip to the mall.
Money has never been a huge issue in my life. If I truely needed something, my parents would get it for me. But I also have a younger sister, 2 younger brothers, and as of lately a foster brother. So while we were provided with what we needed, there is a HUGE difference in needing and wanting. I never had anything I "wanted" unless I earned it. I would work in the yard, or babysit, or wash the cars for money when I was younger. I had my first job at 15 and have worked ever since. I vividly remember my dad taking me to get my first credit card. It was a Sears card because he knew that was somewhere I would never shop (aka no risk of running up the bill!!!). And once a month he would take me to buy something, anything, and when the bill came I had to pay it in full. It truely taught me the value of money and how credit cards work. My junior year I bought my first car. I had a couple grand saved for a down payment, then my dad agreed to match that....but he didnt just buy me a car....and when the payment book came, I got it, not my parents. I also footed the bill for my insurance and gas. If by some chance I was short money, my parents would help out, but not without a speech, a guilt trip, and a signed paper stating what I owed them plus interest! I never even had a cell phone until college when I could afford it on my own. To my parents these things were luxuries, not necessities, and if we wanted them, we had to get them on our own. I may have bitched and moaned about it when I was younger, but I have to say, I am truely greatful that my parents raised me the way they did. I know how to live within my means and on a budget. I know the difference between wanting and needing something. And most of all I know the value of money. I cant imagine what the world will be like in 20 years or so when all these carefree spenders are adults and have to live in the real world, I can only be greatful that my child wont be one of them!!!