Life matters

Sunday, April 01, 2007

It happens in 3's

I'm not sure why it does. I'm not sure if it happens that way to everyone, or just me. But bad things in my life always seem to come in threes. A few months ago my friend and his wife lost their 3 month old baby girl...that hit very close to home for me and was a tough time and something I still think about a lot. Then, a few weeks ago, my high school friend Sarah lost her father to a long and gurleing cancer battle. He was a VERY special person in this world and someone who always welcomed me in his home with open arms and had a word of wisdom and a hug on the way out the door. That was also definitly a lil rough, especially since all of these things happen back home...8 hours away from me. With the baby its not so easy to jump in the car and be there whenever I want, though so many times I wish I could. But this weekend my ex (and still a very best friend of mine) was MIA. We dont talk on the phone a lot, but we text and we myspace almost daily. I sent him a myspace message and recieved nothing in return....very odd. Then I noticed that he hadn't signed on in a few days. Well, today I found out why. He called me while I was on the phone with my mom so I didnt answer and was just gonna call him back. He actually left me a message and he doesnt normally do that. I listened to it and he was saying something about getting into an accident over the weekend and it being a bad situation. I got a lil scared, but hearing his voice made me at least feel like he was ok. I called him back and he sadly dished the details. Two of his good girl friends were in town from college for their spring break...and one of them was having her b-day. They were out having a great time like normal and went to Dennys to eat after all the festivities. My ex was the designated driver (surprised lol). While making a left turn, a drunk driver coming the adjacent way ran his red light and t-boned their car....hard enough to push them into the car in the turn lane next to them. My ex got out not knowing how hurt he was but realizing the girl in the front seat of his car had been thrown to the back. As he looked in the back seat of his totaled car he saw both of his friends, eyes open with no expressions on their faces...he knew they were dead. He was air lifted to charleston (MUSC) to make sure he was ok and was released a day later only to find out for sure that his friends were dead. The thought of all this just takes my breath away. I guess on one had I am so happy that he made it through ok, but on the other hand he watched 2 of his best friends die in his car right in front of his eyes. I want to say its just not fair for so many bad things to happen to one wonderful person, but I suppose I should explain a lil of his background first. When he was 2 he was diagnosed with lukeima. He had a blood transfusion to try and help him, but 24 years ago they didnt test donated blood like they do today and he ended up with hepatitus C, which he didnt find out about until he and I were dating, almost 10 years ago. Hes gone through so many different tests and treatments, but hes doing great. And then something like this happens....something that he will remember and be able to picture for the rest of his life. It truely breaks my heart. Hes such a good person (we didnt split for any bad reasons) and most certainly doesnt deserve this. I love him so much as a friend...hes one of the best friends I've ever had and it kills me that I cant be there for him through this week. Hes pretty bad off himself, nothing major but his whole right side of his body is bruised and he cant get around on his own right now. My heart is aching for him and for his friends that he lost. While he was telling me all this today I could tell he was upset....he normally has NO emotion at all, its just his nature...but today it was like I was talking to a stranger. The words were coming out of his mouth but there was no connection, like he was just going through the motions of life because he had to. So I've been crying all afternoon....I feel like I've done a lot of that the past few months which is strange for me...I'm normally a pretty happy and upbeat person. I just wish I could make things better for all the people I love....sometimes life really sucks :(, but this is number 3 so I hope we are done with the tragities for a while.